Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Eucharisteo - Thanksgiving - Always precedes the miracle

I am so grateful for a new friend God brought in my life January of 2010. I met her through a mutual friend in Houston who attends my church.  Ang had flown down from Michigan to stay with our friend Annette to attend the Siesta Scripture Memory Team Celebration of 2009.  My friend with her guest Ang (who I had heard much about and even saw her blog) picked me up so I could attend this celebration. What a joy!  Ang has become very dear to me as she is the one who gave me the name for this blog, Sylvia's Song.

To continue the story, my friends Annette and Ang  introduced me to another blog, Holy Experience authored by a Canadian, Ann Voskamp.  This is an amazing blog however this year I learned that Ann Voskamp is now an author of a brand new book entitled One Thousand Gifts "A  Dare to LIVE FULLY Right Where You Are".  I was intrigued with this book and knew it could be used as a book study on line however I had some other activities going and decided to wait to purchase my book.

Ang's birthday is Valentine's Day so on Sunday Night before Monday Valentine's Day I call to sing and wish Ang a Happy Birthday and in our conversation she learns that I have not purchased Ann Voskamp's book yet.  Well, she insisted on gifting me with the book. After a brief discussion I finally realized I needed to receive her blessing of this book.  I was amazed when the book was on my doorstep three days later.

Then while I was home sick last month, I began reading this amazing book.  By the time I got to the third chapter I decided I had to start my list. This would be a hunt a.k.a adventure to discover God in my everyday moments. This list is in no specific order of importance or chronological time frame. Also I can repeat the same gift as many times as I feel the need since there are different layers to be thankful for. I don't need a fancy journal, just a small spiral that I can carry in my purse will do, however I already have a beautiful journal I received some time back and realized it was perfect for this discipline.

Taken from page. 32 of the book "One Thousand Gifts"

In the original language of the New Testament  "he gave thanks" reads "eucharisteo."
The root word of eucharisteo is charis, meaning "grace," Jesus took the bread and saw it as grace and gave thanks. He took the bread and knew it to be gift and gave thanks.

 But there is more, and I read it.  Eucharisteo, thanksgiving, envelopes the Greek word for grace, charis.  But it also hold its derivative, the Greek word chara, meaning "joy." Joy. Ah...yes. I might be needing me some of that. That might be what the quest for more is all about---that which Augustine claimed, "Without exception...all try their hardest to reach the same goal, that is joy."

I breathe deep, like a sojourner finally coming home.  That has always been the goal of the fullest life---joy.  And my life knew exactly how elusive that slippery three-letter word, joy, can be. I think of it then again, that night of nightmares, the flailing , frantic, moon-eyed lunge for more.  More what? And this was it; I could tell how my whole being responded to that one word.  I longed for more life, for more holy joy.

Now I begin my list to 1000 on line. The list for me to receive the miracles of  God that evenutally will allow me to experience joy... more holy joy.  I will begin with what I have already recorded in my Eucharisteo Journal.   So when you see just a number and a word or phrase, maybe even a sentence you will know I am on the hunt for God in my everyday life exactly where I am. This discipline is life changing.

1. My friends
2. The fact that I can read
3. The fact that God loves me Just as I Am.
4. I can learn
5. I live in America
6. My neighborhood
7. My Bible
8. Prayer
9. The Healing Power of Jesus in my life
10. My husband, Les
11. My daughter, Vicki
12. My daughter, Valerie
13. Brandon and Vicki
14. Ryan and Valerie
15. My grandson, Micah
16. My granddaughter, Lauren
17. My grandson, Cooper
18. The freshness of a new born baby
19. Family
20. Sleep
21. My home on a cul-de-sac street
22. Living in a small city surrounded by Houston, TX
23. The warmth of the sun on a chilly day.
24. Soothing hot tea on a sore throat.
25. A quiet house.
26. Extended Family of Choice

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post....you blessed me. So glad Angie blessed you with the book. It is a very good book and very inspiring. I am trying to do it too. I've tried to do it before but not quite like this with kind of view point and I find it is showing me so many different kinds of things to be thankful for. I do try to be a glory giver and when He does something unexpected or there is some kind of unexpected or unusual blessing...I raise my hand and say "I am a glory giver"....that helps too. thank you for sharing...blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Sylvia! I am SOOOOOO grateful that you allowed me to bless you with the book! I already love reading your first 26 gifts. I'm glad I can picture your home on a cul-de-sac. Your neighborhood is beautiful! Thank you for sharing your heart and your life with us!

    Love you,
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your comments Mary Lou and Ang! I am over one hundred gifts yesterday. I will continue to post and thank you Mary Lou to remember I am a Glory Giver as I receive His Blessings of Joy.

    ReplyDelete